Friday 12 October 2012

Beauty and the Beast....police procedural?


     So I hadn't heard about this, until yesterday when I was looking up when the premiere of The Vampire Diaries would be on. I loved the story of Beauty and the Beast (yes the hokey Disney version, I'm a sucker for that library Beast gave Belle), but not so much the 1987 version that this one is based on. I figured I'd give it a shot. So in this one we have Kristin Kreuk as Catherine Chandler - almost lawyer turned NYPD detective when her mother is brutally murdered in front of her while she narrowly escapes thanks to a mysterious beast. 

    First things first....I don't think Kristin Kreuk is ever going to escape the CW network, she might have sold her soul to them? Anyways, I actually really enjoyed her in this. She's got this great blend of femininity, ferocity and kick assery and a super smart wit that's needed to pull off this show (my favorite part is probably 2 minutes in when confronted with a sleazy boyfriend). But after her mother's death she's been a bit OCD about the why, and she takes it to the creepy obsession level where she has news clippings and connecting lines. So when one of her cases turns up with a weird DNA sample, matching one from her mother's murder she has to go looking. 

     Jay Ryan is Vincent Keller, "dead" Iraq veteran/doctor, who's living on the LAM and once in awhile he gets a bit stir crazy and heads out into New York to (most of the time inadvertently) save some lives. He's not so much beast as in hairy lion looking guy, but more like steroid rage linebacker (like a mini-Hulk). He is a bit of a stalker when it comes to Catherine, but I think it's more of protective concern because of all the secrets in the background.

     Plot-wise it was okay. The whole main murder took a backseat to the main plot, and they did think of some creative ways to spice up some commonly used ways to kill people. I did guess what happened to Vincent pretty quickly, and I'm 99% sure I know why Catherine's mother died. Catherine's partner is also a female cop, and together they're like a bunch of clucking hens and it got old fast. I'm still kind of on the fence about this show, however they used Florence + the Machine's "Never Let Me Go" and I have this huge weak spot for Florence (damn you CW always getting me with your music choices!) so I'll give it another try next week. 

Did anyone else watch it? What'd you think?

2 comments:

  1. How exactly is he a beast? I can't tell at ALL from that picture, and I looked up google images but still I don't see any of him as a beast. ?_?

    Obviously I didn't see it; I saw a billboard for it yesterday and that was the first I've heard of it at all. O_O;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he is really at all! He gets really angry, and he looks bulky, and his eyes pop a bit and he growls a bit, but we're not quite sure at this point. All the time's he's ripped people up, we've only seen it as silhouettes from Catherine's fallen down perspective. Maybe it'll be clearer later on? We can only hope. And yea I hadn't heard anything about it at all, stumbled on it pretty mistakenly.

      Delete

Background Labs